Tony Fadell on the verge ipod and iphone early interview 1755

在最新的「On The Verge」 節目中,採訪了前Apple SVP,同時也是iPod、iPhone等產品開發背後的核心人物之一的Tony Fadell。在他離開Apple之前,他負責了從初代開始共18款的iPod,以及初代iPhone、iPhone 3G與iPhone 3GS等產品的開發工作。

以下是訪談的部分片段(聽譯部分可能有誤,大家隨便看看就好)……

You also work on the iphone?

你也負責開發iPhone?

Yes, the first three generation.

是的,前三代的iPhone。

 

So you were there for the inception the creation of the original iPhone.

所以你打從一開始就在iPhone研發團隊裡了?

Absolutely.

當然。

 

How is that go? How would that come from?  Is Steve running to the engineers……I don’t know where he would running into anywhere probably not. Did he walking into somewhere and say “I want to make this thing, here is it looks like”.

那是怎樣運作的?這整件是到底是怎樣來的?是Steve跑到工程部門……說實在我也不知道他會跑去哪裡。是他走進來然後說:「我想要做這個玩意,長相就是這個樣子。」?

There was all kings of difference gestation of that. Actrolly did three different types of iPhone. It was a iPod plus phone, then the iPhone, and then there was the next generation iPhone, and that’s the on actually shipped.

當時有各種不同的立案,實際上有三個不同樣式的iPhone。從「iPod + 電話」,然後是「iPhone」,接著是「下一代的iPhone」。而「下一代的iPhone」就是實際出貨的那款。

 

Did it have a keyboard?

這些款式裡有鍵盤嗎?

None of them.

都沒有。

 

Was there never……

其中是否曾經……

Will, virtual keyboard.

它們有虛擬鍵盤。

 

Yes, but there is never versions recording?

是的,不過從來都沒有任何一個版本有鍵盤?

Never.

從來都沒有過。

 

Was it be discussed?

關於鍵盤有被討論過嗎?

Will, we definitely discussed. It was the heat topic.

我們當然有討論過。這是討論的很激烈的話題。

 

Really?

真的?

Ya, absolutely.

是啊!當然。

 

Where the people were for it and against it?

當時有人贊成也有人反對?

Absolutely.

當然。

 

Wewe you for it or against it?

當時你是贊成還是反對?

I had know a lot about touch screens and given my fifteen years of the time… so i was skeptical. I wanted to try it first.

當時我對觸控螢幕的了解已經很多,也已經在上面花費了我十五年的時間。所以我有點懷疑,我想要先試試看。

 

So you was hardware guy? That’s do hardware keyboard.

所以你是支持實體鍵盤的那邊?贊成做實體鍵盤?

No. I just…… I want to try. I want it work. Because it make sense that you want a full screen, you didn’t just want a little keyboard. The biggest problem was the “iPod plus phone”.Because we had a little screen and we had the hardware wheel, and we were stuck there.

不,我只是……我想要試試看,我希望能成功。因為這很合理,你會想要完整的螢幕,不會想要個小鍵盤。最大的問題是「iPod + 電話」。因為在上面有個小螢幕與硬體滾輪,我們當時就卡在那邊。

 

So you were a little like an iPod , and you would like making call……

所以那有點像是你們拿一台iPod來,然後想要讓它能打電話……

Exactly.

沒錯。

 

That seems to be kind of…… not intuitive?

那似乎有點…不太直覺?

Well, you can make the old dialer……

呃,其實也可以做個老式的撥號盤在上面……

 

Ya, like perfect recreation of the phone has be make in fifty years.

是啊,就像是把50年前的電話再完美地重製一次。

Sometimes you have to try things in order to throw it away.

為了要把東西給丟掉,有時候總得先試試看。

完整的訪談以及節目,請移駕The Verge網站觀看。

via [On The Verge episode 005 teaser/ Tony Fadell talks about early iPhone prototypes The Verge](http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/29/2986777/on-the-verge-episode-005-teaser-tony-fadell-iphone-prototypes)